Sunday, October 9, 2016

Unit 4 Blog Post 1

ESL Alert

Throughout the week I was shocked to find that I did not receive any alerts for my google alert on creating personal learning experiences. I added another alert later in the week on ESL lesson planning. I did receive one alert for this search. The page that I read was on a blog by busy teachers.
http://busyteacher.org/16873-effective-lesson-planning-101-6-easy-steps.html
I was very impressed by the 6 easy steps that were listed for lesson planning, and I think that they are not only for ESL lesson planning, but it is good advice for all lesson plans. The author states to use 6 simple, short steps for lesson planning. The first step is an attention grabber. To help ESL students she suggests that the attention grabber has a visual component to it. The next part of the lesson plan should be to activate prior knowledge, then a short explanation part of a lesson plan should be conducted. Following that students should have a controlled practice, and then more practice with a little more freedom. To sum up a lesson plan a review and closure should happen. I think that this format is a great general plan for any lesson.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bobbi-Jean,

    I always start my lesson with a PDN. If I am starting a new story, I will give them a question to help them think about the new topic. If we are continuing a story from the previous classes, I will give them one short answer question as a review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobbi-Jean,
    I had the same problem with my Google Alerts. I did not receive any, so I ended up looking for a Blog that I could write about. It is always nice to find a resource that helps with lesson planning and the site you found looks like a nice resource. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete